Tell the Government of Canada to #Act4QueerSafety and Tackle Rising Hate.
In the past 3 years, we have witnessed a staggering rise in anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate while the federal government has failed to take decisive action.
Hate-motivated violence targeting 2SLGBTQIA+ communities is on the rise. Drag spaces are under protest. Visible community leaders are being targeted online. There are efforts to roll back inclusion in our schools, and attacks on essential gender-affirming healthcare have become far too common.
While the government has taken positive steps in supporting 2SLGBTQIA+ rights, inclusion and health in the past, they have not acted in the face of rising hate. We need their leadership, now.
We are calling on the Government of Canada to immediately:
- Appoint a Special Representative on addressing and preventing anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate, mandated to provide guidance and undertake activities to address rising anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate in Canada.
- Fund a new grant program to address anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate and misinformation targeting queer and trans communities, and empower 2SLGBTQIA+ organizations - especially pride organizations to address safety and security concerns.
- Publicly and unequivocally condemn rising anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate and reaffirm Canada's commitment to 2SLGBTQIA+ communities
- Appoint a Canadian Special Envoy on International LGBTIQ+ Human Rights to promote LGBTIQ+ equality and human rights around the world
- Ensure anti-2SLGBTQIA+ hate is meaningfully addressed in the upcoming National Action Plan on Combatting Hate
- Host a National Summit on Third Party Violence with Unions, Governments, Employees and Civil Society Organizations
Help us spread the word: Download and share our visuals here
Does your organization want to join the #Act4QueerSafety campaign? Please complete this google form.